Purple Carrot Soup
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small/medium yellow onion chopped
1 small clove garlic, finely chopped
1” piece fresh ginger, finely chopped
1/2 tablespoon fresh chopped rosemary leaves
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander seed
1 very large purple carrot
1 medium potato
1/2 cup water
2 cups vegetable stock
salt, black pepper, and balsamic vinegar to taste
– Heat up the olive oil in a saucepan and fry the onions until they brown at the edges. Add in the garlic, ginger, rosemary and and ground coriander seed and fry until fragrant.
– Add carrot and potato pieces. Pour in the water and vegetable stock, bring to boil, then simmer, partially covered, for 30 minutes.
– Let it cool for 10 minutes and then puree in a blender in small batches. You may blend all of the mixture for a smooth soup or half of it for a semi-chunky soup.
– Return the soup mixture to the pot and continue to simmer for another 10 minutes.
– Season with salt, black pepper, and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar to taste.
*This makes a light, yet still deliciously comforting soup. For a rich, creamy, non-vegan version, add cream to the soup at the step where the pureed soup is returned to the pot. Or you can still keep it vegan, and use coconut cream instead. Either way, the soup should turn a pretty pastel purple, and taste quite luxurious!